Friday 23 May 2014

The Bomb That Never Exploded!

PREAMBLE:
Wednesday, 21st May 2014: 1:30pm: Makerere University Main library, by far one of the biggest and oldest libraries in Africa. The largest in East africa.Makerere University in the best university in Saharan Africa and fourth best in Africa. Popularly referred to as the Ivory Tower of Africa.That is the stage of our piece.

THE AUTHOR
I am  a fourth year Engineering student, finalizing my course in the next fortnight.I am extremely ambitious and hopeful for the future for my family and my country.I would literally do anything for World Peace. I am Okot Boniface Henry.I am on the stage, watch my mind unfold with a heavy heart.

 WARNING
This extract is a true story!

THE PIECE
My eyes focused on a script,
As though my entire living depended on it.

My heart calmly beating,
In rhythm with my hopes so bright.

The other thousand souls nearby,
calm,quiet and flipping pages they were.
We must share the same dream for the future.
rebuild our dear nation so broken.

The sun is so bright,
It had been away for days
I love this day

But wait a second!
Bomb! Bomb!bomb!
The only scream my heart hears
My ears could feel the noise
A scuffle ensues!
Even the gods would run!

Here is our part,



Glued in the corner,
Transfixed by fear,
Of irrational things I cannot change,
As panic covers up my eyes I don't know what I see,
Start to shake, so want to run away,
Unable to move,
Escape is mercy,
Shaking incessantly,
Terror strikes,
Heart pounds,
Reaching for evasive breaths,
Unable to gasp,
I see souls so helpless,
flying from the highest of floors,
Then tears,
With tears relief apparent,
Tears bring mercy,
Escaped at last!
Quickly hunt for calmness and reason,

 The strike of lightning is slow.

But wait a second,
Blood was the new paint,
Broken bones were the new exhibits,
Books once new,
now dirty floor carpet.


Police drags in,
A snail is faster.
The story so different,
No bomb,
Just a thief!

MY MESSAGE
 Terrorism is real.
 Keep Watch.
 Be your brothers keeper.
Our societies live in fear.
The one thing I am certain about is,
"After the rain, there is a rainbow"

Dedicated to the student who is in a critical condition at Mulago hospital, Kampala, Uganda owing to this incident.
Also dedicated to those in the fight against terrorism.

BH OKOT.
ICT building: One of the targeted buildings

Makerere main library extension




2 comments:

  1. Thank you, for posting this story of courage and free-thinking scholars!
    http://home.comcast.net/~llv5/_VitaInfo.htm

    ReplyDelete